Smoked Chicken Thighs on the Traeger
- Chicken thighs (as many as you like)
- Your favorite rub or marinade. We loved the St Helen’s Ash and the Traeger Chicken rub. Really though you can use anything you want…
- This is a really simple thing to make.
- If you’re going to marinate the chicken I prefer to do it overnight, although 15-30 mins is fine if you’re in a hurry.
- When using a rub, be sure to separate the skin by sliding your fingers in-between the skin and meat and place some rub in the hole.
- I like to smoke the thighs on the smoke setting for 30 mins prior to cranking the temp up for 350 for added smoke flavor.
- Smoke skin side down until the temp reaches 170 F, about 40-45 mins
I use to be a hardcore breast only guy (I actually still am depending on what we’re talking about) however these days I prefer Chicken Thighs over almost any other part of the bird. Matt and I have been smoking a lot of Jerk Chicken lately trying to come up with a perfect blend rub/marinade and we’ve been using the thighs. We have been shocked how good things are turning out so we decided to do some Smoked Chicken Thighs with our St. Helen’s Ash Rub and the freebie chicken rub that came with the Traeger. I know I’m biased on the St. Helen’s Ash but both turned out fantastic and I don’t think there was a clear winner.